Monday, April 13, 2009

Feel THE BURN

No, I am not talking about the burn you feel when you exercise, although at this point I almost wish I were talking about that kind.
No, I'm not talking about the burn when you touch something extremely hot.
No, I'm not talking about a sun burn, a rash, an irritation or anything like it.
I am talking about the eye popping, nose wrinkling, stomach turning, toe curling sensation of heartburn. Also known as acid reflux, GERD, or in my case just THE BURN.
No one except a woman who has this before she becomes pregnant and then becomes pregnant and it worsens knows exactly what I am talking about. I am not talking about an uncomfortable burning sensation in your chest. I'm not even talking about a mild burning in the esophagus and mouth. No, I am talking about a sensation that feels like a slow erupting volcano. It can be provoked by spicy food, lying down, drinking soda, not eating for too long or absolutely nothing at all and I never know when it is going to sneak up on me.
It starts as a slow aching rumble in my chest where my esophagus ends and my stomach begins. It escalates into a bubbling, gurgling burping sensation in my throat, until I burp, or swallow and the fiery mess of God Only knows what kind of acid I have in my stomach wells up in my throat and enters my mouth burning everything in its path. Clearing my sinuses, making my eyes water and choking me with the bitter super burn.
What helps you ask? Not much. Whole milk seems to coat my esohpagus temporarily. The same with Tums. Sometimes eating a yogurt will help calm the edge but in general, nothing helps THE BURN long term. NOTHING.
Oh wait, yes there is. Its called BIRTH! And unfortunately I have to wait at least, LEAST, 13 more weeks for this but more likely around 16-17 weeks. Pure torture if you ask me. Pure torture.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...