Saturday, March 27, 2010

WORDS CAN CHANGE EVERYTHING - DIET TRULY IS A 4 LETTER WORD

I think sometimes we set ourselves up to fail not only with the choices we make but with our thought process. As I was reading the line-up of recent blog posts tonight from my iPhone I realized a trend. There is too much 'negative' terminology being used. In order to change our habits we must change our thought process which means eliminating 'bad words' from our daily thoughts. For example:

Webster defines the word DIET as: a : food and drink regularly provided or consumed b : habitual nourishment c : the kind and amount of food prescribed for a person or animal for a special reason d : a regimen of eating and drinking sparingly so as to reduce one's weight diet>

A, B & C are all acceptable uses of the word. D is not. For those of us with a substantial amount of weight to lose, DIET is not an option. We must make a conscious effort to make a LIFESTYLE CHANGE. In my mind a DIET means one things. It has an beginning and an end. To be successful at our weight loss goals there can be NO END.

Also, Webster defines CHEAT as: a : to practice fraud or trickery b : to violate rules dishonestly

Both A & B are acceptable uses of the word but not in correlation to eating something that isn't on your meal plan. To CHEAT implies you are deceiving yourself and/or violating some unwritten rule. When making a LIFESTYLE CHANGE there are no rules. One must live their life and fatty, sugary, highly caloric foods are a part of life. When you choose to indulge in those foods it is simply a choice. Not a CHEAT. It isn't even necessarily a bad choice. But it is definitely not and SHOULD NEVER be called a CHEAT. This immediately implies that you are doing something wrong and should be ashamed when you are simply choosing to eat something.

Webster defines SKINNY as: a : lacking sufficient flesh : very thin : emaciated b : lacking usual or desirable bulk, quantity, qualities, or significance

Webster's definition alone should want to make you rid the word from your 'healthy' word bank. I have heard and read time and time again, "I want to be skinny,". But I rarely hear or read, "I want to be healthy,". Think about that.

How many times have you said, "I'll do it -"
TOMORROW - MONDAY - NEXT WEEK - NEXT MONTH . . .
Why not RIGHT NOW?

What about you? What 'unhealthy, or bad' words do you use? How could you change them to be more positive?

The Fat Chick

4 comments :

  1. I think I have this pretty well under control these days. But I used to be really bad with the word "thin." Now I say healthy (as in healthy weight).

    By the way, I nominated you for The Stiletto Award on my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are 100 percent right. Honestly its a thought process. My bad words are can't, try and skinny. I have just eliminated can't from my vocabulary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very true! My bad words are definitely cheat, can't, tomorrow (I will do it tomorrow) and fat. After reading this post I will definitely try to take this words out of my vocabulary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! I have been thinking for several weeks about the word diet and what it means to me as I try to change my lifestyle to be more consistently healthy and fresh. So thank you for this informative post! And the "cheat" segment really applies to me too. I have a tendency to look at foods as either "bad" or "good", but that doesn't really solve any problem, now does it. It just institutes more guilt. So interesting...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...