Tuesday, July 27, 2010

SALAD CHALLENGE = MINI ELLIPTICAL - FROM ME TO YOU FOR ME OR YOU

This is going to be a fast and furious post because I have to finish some revising of my book.

First off:

SALADS!

I want recipes! Low cal (low point salads). Any kind. If you love em, I wanna know about em. I want to do some kind of salad-a-thon where I try a million different kinds of salads to mix things up. If you know of a super awesome salad like Sheryl's (Bitch Cakes') Super Salad than I wanna know. Tell me the ingredients I will need (I will eat anything - I am allergic to nothing and have no aversions to any kind of meat/poultry or seafood) and if there is any special preparation, let me know about that too. After I try them all I will be choosing first, second and third place winners who will win prizes!

MINI ELLIPTICAL

I am getting rid of mine because with my new stationary bike and Lateral Thigh Trainer, I have no room for it. I bought it less than 6 months ago for $99 and as you can see, a percentage of the profit went to Breast Cancer Awareness. It is lightly used and can be used standing (as an elliptical is generally used) or you can turn it around backwards, sit down and use it as a make-shift stationary bike. IIt is very versatile and compact. Do you want it? If so, send in a fabulous salad recipe (under 500 calories please) The first place winner will have their choice of this or a yet undetermined gift card.

How to enter recipes:

**Exceptions: I can only ship a package this large within the USA. I apologize, but I don't have abundant funds at the moment. However, if you are outside the USA and would like to try and win a gift card than by all means, please enter!

You can submit AS MANY RECIPES AS YOU WANT. Recipes will be accepted until August 31st and I will attempt to eat 2 salads a day for as long as the recipes come rolling in. Contest will officially end on September 5th and winner will be announced on September 10th.

Thank you for entering!

The Fat Chick

12 comments :

  1. That mini elliptical is crazy. I have no good salad recipes as most of the time I loathe salad. but good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. spinach, lite raspberry vinaigrette dressing, raspberries, chopped pink lady apples, sliced strawberries, and chopped green onions = Fruity Spinach Salad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im so curious about that miniellip.
    it works?


    MizFit

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know if this qualifies as a salad, but my favorite is Chickpea salad. It's a faux tuna salad which is sometimes called "Chickpea of the Sea."

    Chickpea Salad:

    * 1 can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
    * 2 tbsp. mayonnaise
    * 2 tbsp. plain low-fat yogurt
    * 1/2 tsp. whole grain mustard
    * 1 tsp. seasoned rice vinegar
    * 2 slices white onion, cut in half (or use green onion)
    * garlic powder, salt, pepper, and hot pepper flakes (to taste)

    Pulse the chickpeas, spices, vinegar, onion and mustard in a food processor until coarsely chopped. Add the remaining ingredients and pulse until mixed. Spoon onto a layer of lettuce on whole grain bread of choice. Top with tomatoes slices.

    Depending on the number of servings, this is about 175 calories or less each (I usually make 4 servings and have open-face sandwiches).

    This is especially great when you have an desire for something salty and meaty without the meat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have recipes but I just want to know how much the mini elliptical costs and where you bought it so I can buy one right now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My favorite is Spinach and Strawberry salad.

    Spinach, sliced strawberries, sliced almonds and lite raspberry poppyseed dressing. toss it all together and sprinkle some feta cheese ontop. It's also really good with a few dried cranberries in it as well.

    that mini elliptical looks awesome. and I'm guessing it works well! I might have to come back with another recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ingredients
    1/2-pound chorizo sausage, sliced 1/4-inch thick
    4 cups mixed greens, rinsed well and dried
    1/2 cup julienned sun-dried tomatoes
    Sherry Vinaigrette, recipe follows
    Salt and pepper
    4 ounces Cabrales blue cheese
    Croutons, recipe follows
    Directions
    Heat a medium skillet over high heat, add the chorizo, and cook until golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon to a plate lined with paper towels.


    Place the greens and tomatoes in a large bowl and toss with half of the vinaigrette. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and divide among 4 large plates.


    Spread the blue cheese on the croutons. Scatter the chorizo over the salads and garnish each plate with remaining vinaigrette and 2 croutons.

    Sherry Vinaigrette:

    3 tablespoons aged sherry vinegar

    2 teaspoons Dijon mustard

    Salt and freshly ground black pepper

    1/4 cup pure olive oil


    Whisk together vinegar, mustard, and salt and pepper in a small bowl. Slowly whisk in the oil until emulsified.

    Croutons:

    8 (1/2-inch thick) slices French baguette

    3 tablespoons olive oil

    Salt and freshly ground black pepper


    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.


    Brush the bread with the oil and arrange on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and bake until lightly browned on both sides, about 7 minutes. Let cool.

    ReplyDelete
  8. West African super-salad

    1c chopped lettuce (or more, whatever)
    1/2 tomato, chopped
    1/2c chopped cucumber
    1 shredded carrot
    1/2c boiled cubed potatoes (chilled is better)
    1/2c cooked macaroni (chilled is better)
    1 1/2 chopped hard-boiled eggs
    1t mayo(I use full fat, but you don't have to)
    1t dijon mustard
    a dash of vinegar
    1/2 a cube of chicken bouillon or maggi

    Mix. Eat as a meal.

    It's simple, it's easy, and it can be made even healthier by switching out the full fat mayo for light mayo, and loading up on more veggies.

    P.S. I make a version of screaming fatgirl's chickpea salad too. So delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So Blogger doesn't seem to like openid, which is what I tried to sign in w/ for my last comment. :( Anyway, Theresa here, from himynameistheresa.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I went ahead and emailed you my recipe! :) Enjoy!
    -katie

    ReplyDelete
  11. OK my salad is real simple and easy take some romaine add tomatoes, corn, beans (any kind), some ground turkey or cup up chicken, turkey or beef, and then top with salsa I perfer green but red works as well dont use pace or anything try to fine like a fire roasted one and its soo good (no chips or anything) so the only calories really come from the meat.
    OR
    my mom makes a good one of your normal salad stuff greens, tomatoes, cucumbers shredded carrots (which i think are way better than chopped carrots but thats just me) anywho then she makes a dressing of lemon juice (she uses bottled) olive oil, salt, and splenda/equal oh so good I took her dressing and added some seasame oil and soy sauce (low sodium) and it was sooo tasty.
    so there you go 2 salads enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have 2 favs!
    Fav #1
    and I use no measurements.. I just throw it all together....
    baby lettuce mix
    feta cheese crumbles
    walnuts
    diced mangoes
    green apple slices
    raspberry vinaigrette (I use ken's)

    Fav #2
    SUPERFOOD salad
    kale (marinate in dressing so it's not so bitter)
    spinich
    avacados
    almonds
    tomatoes
    chickpeas
    peas
    baby corn
    green zucchini
    cucumbers
    mandarin oranges
    Toss with sweet Asian dressing
    my recipie is
    Applebee's Oriental Salad Dressing-delish!

    3 T. honey

    4 t. mayonnaise

    1/2 t. dark-roasted sesame oil

    1 T. Dijon mustard

    1 1/2 T. white vinegar

    In a small bowl, mix honey, mayonnaise, sesame oil, Dijon mustard and white vinegar. Chill.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...