Friday, November 12, 2010

SUPPORT - BLOG LOVE - FOLLOWERS - & A HOW TO

I came across Pam's blog, Plump Nonfiction (which by the way, I LOVE the title of) a little while ago and she is struggling with the need for support. While I can't help with the support of her family and her personal life I can help here in blogland and ask that my readers go to the link above and give her a little support. There is nothing like losing weight and feeling proud of yourself and the sadness of having no one to rejoice with. I think at least some of my readers can relate. Without the constant encouragement of blogland it is difficult to celebrate alone when family and friends just don't get it and especially when they just can't relate or understand the significance. So give Pam some love, some support. Follow her and let's encourage her to get this thang done.


I think anyone who has been blogging for any length of time with a public blog and especially under the topic of weight loss understands the necessity for community, support and having a common ground with fellow bloggers. I have never come upon a weight loss blogger who did not have some kind of back and forth communication with their blog's readers and who did not love the comments. Besides an ego boost to get comments on your writing it is sometimes so awe inspiring to think that when you always felt so alone that there are literally thousands of other people out there traveling the same rocky road of weight loss. It's amazing to read that someone not only agrees with you but is going through the EXACT SAME THING as you are and you are able to commiserate over it, and hash it out and perhaps find solutions to the struggles - TOGETHER. The weight loss blogger community is truly an amazing tool for anyone on a weight loss journey.

That being said, I cannot speak for everyone but I can definitely say that for myself, I KNOW the feeling of having no one to turn to regarding my personal struggles with weight. Of course I have a great surface support system of my family. My mom is overweight and struggles as well but she doesn't struggle with binging - just crap eating and mild overeating. My grandmother is a nutritionist of sorts and has been on and off every diet known to man. She has struggled with her weight her whole life - not because she was overweight her whole life but because my grandfather told her she was fat and needed to lose weight. Mind you she married him at 18 and 99lbsat 5'4". She was still a little too 'pudgy' for him then. So, her struggles and issues are not the same as mine. I don't turn to the men of the family because they can lose and gain weight the way the earn and spend money. So, I have always felt alone in my binging and being severely obese. Until, of course, I found this community.

When I first started blogging I did not blog about my weight. I blogged about my family and my issues with my husband, my want for a baby and then my subsequent pregnancies and births. I dwelled on my husband and our problems as well as trivial other topics of my life. But when I started my weight loss journey in January 2010 I decided to not only start a weight loss blog but to consolidate my old blog (Then called 'On The Border X 4') and my weight loss blog into one.

I remember I started getting more followers and I was pretty ecstatic. When I reached 20 followers I was astounded. 20 people followed me? 20 people cared about what I wrote? No way! But then I came upon Monica's blog called 'Confessions of a Plus Sized Girl'. Sadly, I am not sure if she blogs anymore because I can't find her blog but not only did she inspire me beyond belief she was the one who gave me some blog love and my readers started pouring in. There is no doubt that having people who follow you, care about you enough to comment on your posts and give advice, criticisms etc can help tremendously on this journey.

So for anyone new to blog land and the weight loss community who is unsure how to get readers and support here is my VERY short how to manual.
  • START YOUR BLOG
  • WRITE OFTEN
(It'll not only ensure people will stay interested but it is also a great outlet for stress, and keeps you from the hand-to-mouth habit - and please refrain from typing one handed so you can eat with the other hand - ok ok sorry it was a joke)
  • READ OTHER BLOGS
  • COMMENT ON OTHER BLOGS - OFTEN
  • WATCH HOW PEOPLE ARE INTERESTED IN WHO COMMENTS ON THEIR BLOGS
    AND HOW READERS START ADDING UP IN YOUR FOLLOWER BOX
See - easy tutorial.

I am done writing tonight.

So tired. Gonna go read - maybe listen to some music. I'm in the mood to play SIMS. Odd. I haven't played that in years. Haha - kinda random.

Laterz bloggies

XO Kristen

2 comments :

  1. The online support has been a huge godsend to me. Just when I think I am alone in something I see that others are right there with me in experiencing the same things. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't find Monica's blog either. I know she had posted once about maybe getting rid of it so I guess she did. I hate it when one of us just disappears.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...