Thursday, December 9, 2010

AT RISK BUT HEALTHY

I commented on my steam rolled fingers in the last couple of posts and inquired with Allan as well as my blog readers and I just got off the phone with my doctor (well, her nurse).

A couple explanations were thrown out including diabetes (a hereditary disease in my family) and pitting edema which I am very familiar with from both my pregnancies.

So I spoke with my doctor's nurse and she looked up the results from my last blood panel (about a year ago when I weighed 325lbs) and commented that she was surprised at my weight how normal all my numbers were. At 325lbs my blood glucose level was perfect, my thyroid, cholesterol, etc was all great. My blood pressure was around 117/80 (120/80 is normal) so my blood pressure was awesome!

She then asked me about my eating and sodium levels and exercise. She asked me if 'i was able to exercise' (mind you I didn't tell her I was 50lbs lighter than the last time they saw me.) I told her I do about 100 jumping jacks every day, 20-30 modified pushups every other day and squats every other day. What did she say? She said, 'wow'. I then added that I do zumba 1-2x a week and she says 'wow' again and that is when I tell her about eating well and having lost 50lbs. I told her about the gallon + of water a day and the headaches too and she told me I need to lessen the amount of water I am drinking. That if I am retaining after drinking that much it is because my kidneys can't handle it and the water is being stored in my cells including my brain which she says can account for the headaches with too much water intake. And it can eventually ruin your kidneys if you drink too much water also.

So, I'm going to keep the water at a gallon. I feel good at a gallon with no headaches to speak of.

Which brings me to another subject. Obesity related ailments. Everytime someone says wow when I tell them the physical exertion I am capable of I realize how much I take my body for granted. I mean there are people out there at 275lbs who get winded just walking or climbing stairs let alone doing a full hour of full impact & toning zumba. These same people may have knee or joint issues that keep them from being able to do calistenics such as pushups, squats or jumping jacks.

I have always been extremely lucky. Even at my highest weight of 372 on the day of Buzzy's birth my blood glucose level was normal, blood pressure was normal, all aspects of blood panel were normal and I didn't even have any signs of anemia (lack of iron). I need to take care of my body to ensure it stays healthy. To ensure I never dewlop diabetes, heart disease, weight related arthritis, etc.

That being said the nurse says my finger incident does sound like pitting edema and to back off the water. If that doesn't work than she will bring me in for tests to determine what might be the issue.

So far 920 cals consumed. Including two fruits for snacks and veggies included with box meal for lunch. Half a gallon consumed and I've been peeing like crazy.

Lastly, my scale needed a new battery but before last Friday and the last time it worked I saw 281.6. Not pretty and when it died on Thursday I decided to use that as an excuse not to post my weight. I've decided to go ahead and face it though and will be updating my sidebar from 'no weigh' to 281.6. Today I saw 276.4 so heading in the right direction again. Tomorrows weight will be posted as well. Enough craziness as Allan calls it. It's time to be serious. I've been serious for a week. Gonna keep the momentum going.

XO Kristen

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

23 comments :

  1. Sometimes headaches can be an indication of water intoxication...according to some reading that I have done a person should drink between 1 to 2 liters of water a day depending on body mass. i know that that are a bunch of bloggers doing this water challenge thing right now, but it is something to think about. i don't think you are at high risk for water intoxication, but like i said...it may be something to think about :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job on the weight loss. Stick with it because it is so worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. INteresting about the water comment from the nurse. I always thought you could never drink enough water - guess I was wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad that you called the doctor! Consider yourself lucky that you have not had any health risks from your weight. It really does vary from person to person. It also increases with age (I am 44) I was at 315 at my highest and that is when all my ailments came to a head and now that I am 258 I have normal blood sugar, cholesterol and blood pressure.

    Keep up the good work Kristen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Job on the weight loss. Cant wait for tomorrows weigh in. Ive always heard that during weight loss you should drink 1/2 ounce to 1 ounce of water for every pound you weigh. Sure hope the headaches stay away.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome news from the doctor.

    And bravo to you for owning your weigh in like that. If we can be honest and face the truth it really keeps us out of denial.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read about the risks of too much water before starting Phase 2- and all of what I read indicated the risk stemmed from "too much, too fast, in too short a time frame." Listening to your body is the best idea- if too much water is causing problems, back off. Maybe you can increase it slowly over time when/if your body's ready.

    I'm glad you're doing things to KEEP your body healthy before the problems start to pop up! 250 was my highest, and all my labs, bp, everything was perfect for years-- and then it wasn't anymore. My bp started spiking up causing those headaches, and I had to plead to stay off meds for a few months. My doc gave me a chance to turn it around since I wasn't quite at 140 yet, and I did. You're smart for not taking your health for granted like I did!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It must be great to see the loss and see how you've improved in terms of food and exercise. Great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. great job on moving downward. Doing good and glad your numbers are positive.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You seem very motivated, that's great ! 50 lbs already, woohoo !!!I just discovered the blog and checked out the pictures. Great progress. Keep up the good work !

    ~kisses
    http://fatfriesplease.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi you are doing awesome, 50 pounds is wonderful. I am inspired by your physical activity. Thank you for visiting my blog. I am glad I found yours in return. I am going to read back on some previous posts. take care and have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. And I remember you saying you HATE the taste of water and love Crystal Light.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Question, lady: are you drinking water-water or are you drinking Crystal Light in water? Makes a diff because CL is full of phenylwhatevers that are in diet pop (the artificial sweetner) and can make your brain swell when you drink it in quantity. A girl at my work lost her eyesight for a few months because she drank a gallon of diet dr. pepper a day.

    So it may not be the water but what youre putting in it (if you are). Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So we are not confusing everyone. And I am sure the nurse looking at year old results has some knowledge, no one will drown from being hydrated. At the least, you need to drink your weight x .50 ounce. At 282, drink 141 ounces of FLUIDS per day, and you will be healthier. I trump your "nurse" on the phone with 3 doctors, a doctor right here on line, 3 nutritionists, and results from not only myself, but 100 smiling Challengers..Get all the facts, and the snarky Mr. Klein comment after what I thought was a nice chat is not well recieved

    ReplyDelete
  15. Keep up the good work mama...water, fruit, veg and taking care of your health/calling the nurse---im impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have to agree with some of the other posters... too much water, too quickly in a very short time can be bad for you. It's much better to drink all your fluids throughout the day... and not "chugging" it all quickly.

    Also, if you are drinking that much artificial sweetner (if you're doing Crystal Light for all your fluids) that's not good for your body either. Try water at different temps to find if you like the taste better... or add some lemon or lime juice if you need it flavored.

    That said.. congrats on the 50 pounds lost so far.. and congrats on eating some fresh fruit and veggies today! :) It's not easy on a budget (trust me.. I know) and it's not easy with "junk" around... but you can do it!

    Oh.. and I have a husband that loves to have junk around the house... and I just don't buy it. If he wants it, he has to go get it himself. Most times he won't so it's better for him too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. and the chemicals can keep you bloated like craaazy, so if you are drinking CL, those artificial sweetners may be the reason your fingers are doing what theyre doing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Glad to hear that the scale is moving downward, Kristen. Also good for you in checking with your doctor regarding your symptoms. Medical advice should always be sought, because we all react differently to different diets and water intake. Keep going in the right direction. You have lots of support here!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Whoa Carolyn, thanks for the info ! (even though it wasn't meant for me *lol*) I don't drink CL (don't like it); I've always preferred plain ol' water, but it's good to know that about CL for the future. And even for people around me. Or if I ever fall in the category of people drinking soda regularly. Losing eyesight ? Dang !

    ~kisses
    http://fatfriesplease.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yeah, Elle. The aspartame breaks down to formaldehyde and accumulates in your brain! LIKE WHAT THEY EMBALM PEOPLE WITH!


    Aspartame and PKU

    This sugar substitute, sold commercially as Equal and NutraSweet, was hailed as the savior for dieters who for decades had put up with saccharine's unpleasant after taste. There are quite a few problems with aspartame. The first is phenylketonuria (PKU). One out of 20,000 babies is born without the ability to metabolize phenylalanine, one of the two amino acids in aspartame. Toxic levels of this substance in the blood can result in mental retardation. Beyond PKU, several scientists believe that aspartame might cause altered brain function and behavior changes in consumers.

    I copied this off a doctor's website: And many people have reported the following side effects from aspartame:

    * Fibromyalgia Syndrome and symptoms of Fibromyalgia
    * Multiple Sclerosis symptoms
    * Dizziness
    * Headaches
    * Menstrual problems

    Just google aspartame poisoning. That's crazy stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I don't know why my post deleted? But here's some info on aspartame poisoning:

    Aspartame and PKU

    This sugar substitute, sold commercially as Equal and NutraSweet, was hailed as the savior for dieters who for decades had put up with saccharine's unpleasant after taste. There are quite a few problems with aspartame. The first is phenylketonuria (PKU). One out of 20,000 babies is born without the ability to metabolize phenylalanine, one of the two amino acids in aspartame. Toxic levels of this substance in the blood can result in mental retardation. Beyond PKU, several scientists believe that aspartame might cause altered brain function and behavior changes in consumers. And many people have reported the following side effects from aspartame:

    * Fibromyalgia Syndrome and symptoms of Fibromyalgia
    * Multiple Sclerosis symptoms
    * Dizziness
    * Headaches
    * Menstrual problems

    Scary! Stay away from it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Glad to hear you got the medical help you needed. Hopefully laying off some of the water will help. :) And you are doing awesome in the exercise department. And weight loss too! Way to go! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi there! I just noticed that you are one of my new followers so I am returning the gesture. Great post. My best friend's starting weight was 328lbs and she always had great blood panels and blood pressure and was quite active then too. It was amazing to me. Very lucky!

    And you are rockin' it with your exercise. My new goal is start running at least 4 times a week. I want my own treadmill for Christmas. We'll see what Santa decides to bring me!

    :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...