Saturday, December 11, 2010

IRRITATED

So as you all know I have had quite a time of it these last several months. I'm back on the wagon. Numbers heading south. Calories staying low. Fluid intake staying high. Life's good in my corner, but then I go and read some other blogs and I just get irritated. When I go off plan. I know I'm off plan. Off plan as not consciously eating healthy. I don't pretend to think that a piece of pizza is good for me or fits into my plan. I don't pretend those cookies will only take up a certain % of my daily calories and therefore fit also. Of course, I am not as hardcore as Allan. I do understand these things technically 'fit' in an allotted amount of calories and I can see an occasional slice of pizza (not 3 or 4) or an occasional cookie or what have you.

What really bothers me, I guess is when people are so hell bent on their 'journey' that they have blinders on. Regardless of whether they are subconsciously sabotaging themselves every other day. Regardless of the shit they're eating. It's their way or the highway. When people are succeeding and progressing in their journey I can see having this stance. But when weight is fluctuating at best and at times jumping week after week only to go down a few pounds and jump up again it's like hey! Maybe what you are doing isn't working. I can't stand when people say (without even bothering to research for themselves) that a certain amount of calories per day isn't acceptable for their body. (ie: meaning that X calories is waay too little) Hello! You're fat! Anything less than what you are eating is good but seriously? You think that dropping to 1200-1500 calories a day is going to put your body into starvation mode? Really??

I recently read a blog where the blogger was convinced that s/he at 250lbs wanting to get to 135 should not drop below 2000 calories a day. Really?!?!?! I mean this is where I insert a double blink to make sure I'm reading right. 2000 calories to get to 135lbs? Does s/he even realize how effed that rationalization is?

Also, when did it become fact that 1400-1600 cals was what WLS patients are told to force on themselves, even when they're not hungry?? I read this on a blog and had another double blink moment. As far as I know WLS patients eat upwards of 1000 calories a day with great emphasis in lean proteins, fruits and veggies. There is no way (especially in the beginning that they would be able to choke down 1200 calories let alone 1600. They'd vomit it all back up!)

These are excerpts from WLS sites.

FOR BARIATRIC SURGERY (LAPBAND & GASTRIC BYPASS)


Most bariatric diets allow 1000 to 1200 calories per day with meals focused on lean sources of protein, whole grains, fruits, and vegetables.


The ASMBS guidelines (which is where many surgeons GET their recommendations for you) state:

  • 1,000 to 1,400 calories depending on the individual and activity level.
  • 60 to 100 grams of protein depending on the individual and activity level.
  • 27 to 47 grams of fat based on 20 to 35 percent of a daily 1,200-calorie intake.

______________________________________

All that said, I'm also frustrated with myself. No, I haven't fallen off the wagon. I have actually been doing exceptionally well in the food/exercise department. However my temper is suffering for my lack of eating. My patience is maybe only a fingers length past existing and my poor girls have been super hyper today (hitting, pinching, biting and shoving each other) which has just grated on my nerves and they've ended up in the corner and time out chairs much more and much faster than normal.

Buzzy is probably wondering why mommy turned into a she-demon. ((sigh))

This goes for my family as well. There have been a few people that JUST RUB ME WRONG! Everything that comes out of their mouth makes me want to rip my own ears off just so I wouldn't have to hear their voice. Gaaahhhhh!

On a more positive topic: My new fave breakfast? 1 egg white scrambled with pepper, single slice of Kraft American cheese on a toasted 100 calorie sandwich thin with coffee and 2tbsp peppermint mocha creamer for 246 cals. Better, right Allan?

Groceries for the next 2 weeks all bought. All healthy. Lots of fruits and veggies. Hoping to really rock out these next three weeks and be close to the 250s by my weigh in on January 1st.

That's all for now.

XO Kristen

6 comments :

  1. I hear ya!!! I am almost done with my chef apprenticeship (Thursday!!) but where I am now is under a raw vegan chef. I work in the cafe there and see it all.. extreme raw diets!! EXTREME! Fruitatarians, raw foodists, people that think legumes are the devil, and that bees need their honey. CRAZY! I definitely have my own beliefs about food, as I am sure many ppl do.. BUT I believe what I believe because they are working for me. It may not for everyone else

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Kristen. It is hard to stay in a good mood when things are hard but you'll get it all managed and life will be easier. I am very proud of you. Keep up the great work.
    Have a great and relaxing weekend. Take care and God Bless!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the reasons why I choose to blog instead of FB, though I still FB just not as much, is because of the reactions I would have when reading other posts. I decided to blog and surround myself with people who are inspiring, successful in their goals, fun (can't forget the fun part), and people I thought I could learn something from.
    I decided to watch and follow you because you were being successful, honest, and open. Stay the course that is working for you, educate those who want it (myself), and have fun while you are succeeding!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite breakfast is similar to yours, but I find that I can use half the cheese and still be happy. I use half the cheese and cut it (or in the case of the fake american cheese slices you can just sorta tear it) into thinner strips and spread them out and I still plenty of cheese but it's really only half a piece.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I lurve me some eggs!! I use either fat free cheese or the laughing cow light cheese wedges (they're 35 calories per wedge and so creamy). Sorry things have been stressful lately, the holidays seem to do that to people, but we can't use food to destress anymore! Proud of you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...