Monday, May 16, 2011

MY MIND AND HOW IT TICKS ME OFF

I wrote a post last night with the above title, published it via my iPhone's BlogPress, the app said it was published successfully and then POOF, it disappeared out of my unpublished posts, my published posts and never appeared on my google reader. Sometimes Blogger just irritates me but I could never switch to Wordpress. Tried that and didn't like it AT ALL.

So, in short, yesterday's post was essentially about how I couldn't stop thinking about food and how my mind kept trying to justify not eating well, or just one bite. Every time I would successfully navigate my mind away from food, something else would draw it straight back. Very frustrating.

However, I succeeded in not only staying under my calories but eating low-er carb. I succeeded in keeping myself from binging. I didn't even take 'just one taste' of anything and try to justify it.

Today my mind hasn't been on food so much except for the fact that I have had a severe headache. (spending 5 hours with my ex does that. Lol) and in the past chewing has always relieved my headaches. Unfortunately gum does not do the trick so I have just had to endure this mild agony squeezing my skull since very early this morning. Thank God I can just rest now.

I have a new favorite meal that is in the form of a protein shake. It includes soy protein powder (vanilla), Quaker oats, banana, skim milk and sometimes peanutbutter. Yum!!! And totally within my calorie & carb allotment!

I am finding this low-er carb thing very easy to do (knock on wood)

Many of you may be wondering what I mean by low-er carb as opposed to low carb.

Well, I spoke with my PCP as well as the nutritionist that cared for me in my first pregnancy when I was borderline with gestational diabetes. Both recommended between 50-100g of carbs which is low-er than the FDA's recommended 150ish. They recommended that I not do the normal low carb diet of between 0-50g of carbs because I would have to bd deprived or at least heavily restrict fresh fruits and veggies that are exceptionally nutritious but not considered low carb.

So, being the curious and investigative person I am I started looking up how many grams of carbs were considered low carb, how many carbs are generally recommended for a healthy diet and how many carbs are allotted for healthy fat burning.

I came upon this from http://www.marksdailyapple.com talking about The Primal Blueprint carbohydrate Curve. I found it very interesting.

300 or more grams/day - Danger Zone!

Easy to reach with the “normal” American diet (cereals, pasta, rice, bread, waffles, pancakes, muffins, soft drinks, packaged snacks, sweets, desserts). High risk of excess fat storage, inflammation, increased disease markers including Metabolic Syndrome or diabetes. Sharp reduction of grains and other processed carbs is critical unless you are on the “chronic cardio” treadmill (which has its own major drawbacks).

150-300 grams/day – Steady, Insidious Weight Gain

Continued higher insulin-stimulating effect prevents efficient fat burning and contributes to widespread chronic disease conditions. This range – irresponsibly recommended by the USDA and other diet authorities – can lead to the statistical US average gain of 1.5 pounds of fat per year for forty years.

100-150 grams/day – Primal Blueprint Maintenance Range

This range based on body weight and activity level. When combined with Primal exercises, allows for genetically optimal fat burning and muscle development. Range derived from Grok’s (ancestors’) example of enjoying abundant vegetables and fruits and avoiding grains and sugars.

50-100 grams/day – Primal Sweet Spot for Effortless Weight Loss

Minimizes insulin production and ramps up fat metabolism. By meeting average daily protein requirements (.7 – 1 gram per pound of lean bodyweight formula), eating nutritious vegetables and fruits (easy to stay in 50-100 gram range, even with generous servings), and staying satisfied with delicious high fat foods (meat, fish, eggs, nuts, seeds), you can lose one to two pounds of body fat per week and then keep it off forever by eating in the maintenance range.

0-50 grams/day – Ketosis and Accelerated Fat Burning

Acceptable for a day or two of Intermittent Fasting towards aggressive weight loss efforts, provided adequate protein, fat and supplements are consumed otherwise. May be ideal for many diabetics. Not necessarily recommended as a long-term practice for otherwise healthy people due to resultant deprivation of high nutrient value vegetables and fruits.

This seemed to confirm what my PCP and nutritionist had said and so I am trying to keep my carbs under 100, which today I will finish with a net carb intake of 90.

Breakfast was 1 egg + 2 egg whites and coffee with creamer and splenda

Lunch was Mongolian Grill where I piled raw veggies such as broccoli, cabbage, onions, bean sprouts, carrots and mushrooms under chicken and beef and they steam cooked it right in front of me then adding no sugar added curry and Ginger sauce.

I had a kid scoop of no sugar added chocolate covered banana ice cream for a snack (I know, not particularly nutritious) and later 2 sticks of string cheese

And for dinner I will have the shake I mentioned before.

I'm praying tomorrow I will receive good news from Metabolic Research Centers but regardless of the outcome of that venture I hope I have found my happy little diet nitch again.

Also, thank you all for your responses on my last post. All the information was very enlightening.

Until tomorrow!



Kristen

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

5 comments :

  1. I lose best when I keep it under 100, and even better when I keep it under 80. I don't go under 60. I am not in ketosis. I eat pretty Primal/Primarian. It makes me not obsess with food, I'm not hungry, I feel energy, I eat a lot of veggies, I eat some fruit. :) Works for me.

    One day at a time, babe. One at a time..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liking the lower-carb approach! It has certainly worked for me....by working for me I not only mean slow steady shrinkage but less headaches, better more restful sleep, less aches/pains all over, more energy, better moods and *almost* NO CRAVINGS! Hope you have good experiences trying this out!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad that you are finding something that is working for you. I hope that it continues. If not, keep looking because I know that you will find something that works for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. With me, having increased my carbs the past couple of months caused me to eat way more than I had in a long time. Carbs are bad!! Reducing them and increasing your protein a bit will help you stay full longer and make it easier to lose weight.

    By the way, your nutritionist is wrong. The FDA's recommended carb intake per day for a person on a 2,000 calorie diet is not 150; it's actually double that - 300gms. Which is actually a lot, since obese folks tend to do best with under 100gm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I ate 220 to 250 grams of carbs a day , that is, on a 1200 calorie "RDA DIET" type thing, I did not lose weight. I brought it back down to 100, I lost weight. Everybody has differences in their body/hormones/chemistry. Due to my I.R., increasing starches/sugars just made my body not want to respond well to lower calories. And it makes me hungrier (the insulin spike).

    Some lucky folks can indulge in all sorts of carbs and do well and not get hungry and not get fat. It's not me. I'd love to be able to freely enjoy moderate portions of pasta and bread and rice and potatoes. I would! But I can't. :( Not and stay in appetite calm zen zone. I like appetite calm zen zone....sigh....

    Well, dwelling on what I can't have is not productive. (Like how I miss seafood like mad.) I can say, "Oh, blackberries. Yummy this season. Lemme revel." :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...