Saturday, July 9, 2011

A Long Time Coming

Hello, my name is Miss K. I've been wanting to start this weight loss journey for a long time now. I have spent almost 27 years of my life overweight and the last 16 years or so at 200+ lbs. Three years ago I topped 300. I need the trend to stop. Every day I tell myself, 'tomorrow I'll start' and every tomorrow turns into today and the mantra continues. The binge monster has been my best friend and my worst enemy. A quick fix of consolation, comfort and a habit that I know I would be better off without. This relationship (though it is volatile and dangerous to my health) is going to be difficult to break off.


I have never been thin. The closest to thin I ever was in my life was as a small child and at my high school graduation. But I still weighed more than 200lbs even then. I want to be thin, but most of all I want to be healthy. Generally speaking, you could say I am healthy for being 300+lbs. I don't have any kind of diabetes, high blood pressure or other weight related illnesses. I do have GERD (Gastroesophageal reflux disease) which can be very painful. This significantly lessens when I lose weight, which I have done time and time again. But always returns when the weight returns.


Another reason I want and need to shed the pounds is my passion. Zumba! I am an addict. I started Zumba-ing in public classes when I was around 270lbs. Now that I have surpassed 300lbs I am quite embarrassed to attend the class where I once did, ashamed of my morbid obesity. It is difficult to show your face to a group of women who have done nothing but aid you in your efforts to lose weight and yet the proof is in the pudding (or in the fat around your waist) that you have basically wasted their time.


I eventually want to become a certified Zumba instructor. I dream of making this my career. Teaching Zumba and dancing all over the country, attending conventions and masters classes and meeting Zumba 'Big Dogs' like Beto Perez the founder and creator of Zumba. 


So . . . my goals are simple. 




  • Eat between 1200-1500 calories a day
  • Walk and/or Zumba 3-5x a week
  • Don't cheat
  • Don't make excuses
The calorie intake should not be difficult. For the first month or so I will not be actually doing any Zumba. I am currently waiting for hardwood floors to be installed in my home, thus I only have carpet and carpet is not conducive to turning quickly on the balls of your feet. That's when you twist your ankle really well. BUT I will walk and I will walk a lot. Then, once the floors are installed they are going to be worn out by my dancing. 

I vow to myself I will not cheat. I want to meet my goals. I will not make excuses. There are no more tomorrows. You never know if they will actually come. There is only today and right now and I will make today, right now count. 

I will post my first weigh in tomorrow morning and my first butt photo. (Yikes) As my blog title states I am looking to Zumba my butt sexy and this will be a sort of chronological diary of the shrinkage of my butt. I am looking forward to being able to buy underwear in the near future that not only isn't a double digit but that is actually cute and feminine and dare I say it? SEXY!

So here's to the beginning of my journey!

Salud! 


No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...