Thursday, November 29, 2012

Queen of Clean

Sadly, This is True


I was attacked today. No, not literally. I was attacked by the urge to do something that 3 years ago would have been far beyond my realm of reality.


The picture on the left was much more like my room than the picture on the right. 

A little history:

I have never been a neat-nick or the queen of clean. In reality my habits as a teenager were less than ... well, I was gross. As a young adult my grossness just kind of got tidied around the edges. Where as a teenager I sometimes forgot to brush my teeth, as an adult I always brushed my teeth but never rinsed the residual toothpaste out of the sink. Where as a teenager I hated taking showers, as an adult I enjoyed them often ... and then I became a mom and my newly found love of taking showers was displaced by children. Any mother understands this. Any single mother knows that a shower is not always a daily possibility and that it often feels much more like a luxury.

My cleanliness habits didn't end with my personal person, but my things as well. As a teen my car and room looked like something from hoarders. As an adult I had progressed to recovering hoarder. Mind you in these times that I mention I was either a teen, single and living alone or just newly married with no children except cats.

When I separated from my ex-husband and moved into my mom's house I learned quickly that she wasn't too keen on my slovenly habits. Now, 3 years later, I am still not a neat nick, nor the queen of clean but gosh darn if my mother didn't etch the itch for cleanliness into my brain from the moment I stepped through her door.

You see, my mother IS the queen of clean a neat nick and a super perfectionist with severe control issues. In any case her goal to turn me into a 'house frow' worked and now I randomly get the urges to do laundry, clean up a 'not quite dirty but not quite clean' kitchen. I cringe at the sight of the dirty toilet (even though I still refuse to clean it most often) and I find myself looking around to make sure there isn't anything I need to pick up.

Today was one of those days. I found myself putting away dried dishes from the sink. I stopped when I was done and thought, I'll stop here. But then I saw the CLEAN light on the dishwasher. I CAN UNLOAD THOSE LATER, said my brain from yesteryear. But that stupid light haunted me and so I found myself unloading the dishwasher and then reloading the dishwasher when the rinsed but still dirty dishes sat there in a needy looking pile on the right side of the sink. And when I was done with that I noticed some sticky stuff on the island and some crumbs on the counter and then I was washing down the whole kitchen.

 WHO AM I AND WHAT DID MY MOTHER DO TO ME!??!??!!?


No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...