Thursday, April 11, 2013

Come to Mama (Veggies)

It amazes me how much people want to eat veggies and yet don't. It is always surprising to me how much people crave them, love the way they look cooked a certain way or just know how good they are nutritionally and yet they aren't sure how to cook them or they are afraid that they won't taste good if they do and for whatever reason they just don't buy them.

My dinner tonight was PURE VEGGIES.

195 calories of absolute VEGGIE BLISS.

(Might I add that while I still feel like monkey shit, I actually have MORE energy now and my head is more clear? Bring on those vitamins and minerals)

So,

NO OIL.

NO SUPER HARD PREP.

NO CRAZY MARINADES OR SEASONINGS TO MIX AND BLEND.

NO WONDERING AND GUESSING WHEN THEY'RE DONE.

It was so easy.

So easy my almost 5 year old could do it... well, except for using the 450 degree oven part. Yeah, I'm pretty liberal with what I let my children do, but using the oven is not one of those things.

I guess I wouldn't really let her use the super shark knife either.

But the idea is still there.

IT IS REALLY SUPER EASY.

I know!

So easy your husband could do it?

Maybe that's stretching. I don't know.

Anyway, this is what I used and what I did.

15 fat baby carrots sliced in half

1/2 red bell pepper and 1/2 green bell pepper cut into long thin slices.

1/4 red onion, diced into 1/2 rounds

1 zucchini sliced into rounds

1 yellow squashed sliced into rounds

1 handful of Baby Bella mushrooms sliced into halves (slicing optional, you may like them thicker)

Turn the oven on and set to 450 degrees

I used a DeMarle silpat


And yes, as the picture above shows you can also bake on it, cook meats, roast veggies (like me) or pretty much do any darn thing associated with baking or cooking on it. It is pretty fab-o!

But you can use a nonstick cookie sheet or layer the cookie sheet with wax paper 

(you no want them to stick.. that would not be good)

Anyway so I placed my carrots on it first. Sprayed them with Pam and sprinkled with Garlic salt.




 I put the carrots in for initial 5 minutes because they take longer to cook and then pulled them out.

I loaded up the rest of the veggies onto the Silpat, sprayed them modestly with Pam and sprinkled garlic salt onto everything except the carrots (because they had already been sprayed and sprinkled) and put them in the oven for an additional 15 minutes.

I like my veggies soft but not mushy. If you like your veggies mushy put them in for 20 minutes. If you like them firmer or crunchy put them in for 10-12 minutes instead of 15.


Like I said, it was so super yummy and super low cal. Myfitnesspal tells me that today I got 509% vitamin A, 418% of Vitamin C and 74% of my iron just through that meal. 

And this is what it looked like plated.


I thought I would also share what was going on with Emma. 

This is what she has looked like for the past few days.
Super lethargic. Spacey. Out of it. And for a while she was 'spasming' (the crunching of her shoulders and shaking of her head) every 3 seconds.

We think she is doing much better now. She is still a little less active then we'd like. She isn't eating as much as we'd like but she is hydrating and she is doing small things like jumping onto chairs and allowing us to cuddle her. 

Here is a video of her today. See? Still the fattest little kitten you've ever seen but not shuddering and more aware of me and what is around her. Thank God!




And to leave you on a happy giggly note. 

Miss Sarah over at Thinfluenced shared this video that literally almost made me pee my pants.

Check it out


4 comments :

  1. Those veges look YUMMO!!! And good old garlic salt, the best!! Hope Emma is on the mend soon :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite video EVER! And also, I love roasted veggies-especially asparagus! I had a salad tonight for supper. No meat or carbs either! We are awesome. (Except I had two frozen waffles later with peanut butter. :)

    Sarah
    www.thinfluenced.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WE ARE AWESOME! And it's ok, I had a fiber bar after haha (not like I needed more fiber though)

      Delete
  3. those veges look so good! Ihad asparagus and onions roasted last night with mushrooms...yum yum!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...