Saturday, April 26, 2014

True Story or Fiction?

Once upon a time there lived a very happy couple named Catarin and Edward. They were so very in love. They did everything together. They finished each other's sentences, knew what the other wanted to eat when they went out and were always holding hands or had their arms wrapped around each other. Catarin always made Edward laugh with her witty humor and Edward never failed to make Catarin smile with his contagious laughter. From the outside they appeared to be the perfect couple.

Little did Catarin know, though, that Edward was keeping a secret from her. He was desperately ill. He would lie about going to the doctors and would tell her instead that he and his buddies were going on a 'boys outting'. He had never lied to her before, so she had to no reason not to trust him. Her sun rose and set on him being hers and the fact that he would hide something from her never dawned on her.

It was just when spring was turning the flowers brilliant colors and the warmth had begun to gush over the hills and through the valley that Rose, Catarin's best friend and Edward's sister, invited Catarin to the beach to play in the water and enjoy the sun. It was supposed to be a 'girls' outting'. The first day was breathtaking with the white sand sifting through their toes and the clear water sliding up and down the beach in frothy waves. It was heaven.

The second day Catarin received a message on her phone from Edward that left her destroyed.

"I have decided to return to my ex girlfriend. I don't want to see you or hear from you again. Don't bother coming back from the beach early to change my mind. Goodbye."

With her heart in her feet and tears suffocating her sobs, the mini vacation suddenly turned into something very different and very painful. Rose was there to try to comfort Catarin but Catarin was inconsolable. Her body trembled with the physical pain that his words had provoked. She spent the night kneeling in the sand, screaming at the velvet sky and nothing Rose could say or do calmed her.

It was that night, that Rose was called home. She remorsefully left a deeply distraught Catarin to endure her pain alone. Catarin remained at the beach for that night and the rest of the next day, eventually making her way home but not seeing the point in it. She didn't see the point in anything anymore. Her sun that had risen and set on Edward had been extinguished and the gaping hole she felt where her heart had beat only for him caused her to wonder if there was even a point in living.

When she arrived home, she learned from Rose and Rose's mother that Edward had indeed left for a city far away with his ex girlfriend. Her anguish and pain was renewed and she spent the next days in deep agony, unable to sleep or eat or drink anything. She didn't understand how a love like theirs could be so easily tossed into oblivion.

Meanwhile, during Catarin's torment, Rose and Catarin's Uncle, Damian (who also happened to be Rose's new boyfriend) were having a discussion.

"Edward told me that the cancer had grown and spread and that was why his head hurt so badly. He told me that they can't really control it and that the doctor said there was nothing more they could do. I told him I was praying for him. I told him to have faith but he seemed so sure that this was the end. I told him God would save him, but he didn't believe me. He only told me that he was going to message Catarin and tell her he was returning to his ex. He wanted to make her hate him. I told him not to but he didn't care. He said he was going to do it anyway and he told me to take care of her; to always take care of her," Damian told Rose. "So, how is he? Is he getting better? I haven't heard from him."

"I can't believe I'm saying this but I came home early from the beach because my mom called me. Edward died a few days ago. Don't tell Catarin. Today we are burying Edward," Rose sobbed.

"Oh my god, I'm so sorry."

"I know. I am telling all of his friends because he never had the chance to say goodbye to anyone."

"Wow, that is just horrible."

"Yes and my mom told me that Edward told her not to tell Catarin. Catarin can't know. Promise me you won't tell your niece. Don't say anything about it to her."

"She is sending me messages right now. She wants to know if it really is true. She says everything feels like a bad nightmare. She wants me to tell her why he left her," Damian said noticing the messages on his phone.

"Tell her he is going to get married to his ex and that he went to live with my dad," Rose said, speaking of her father who lived thousands of miles away.

"I will only tell her that because you ask me to, even though she will hate me."

"Yes, tell her that for Edward."

"Why don't you tell her the truth?"

"Because I don't plan to break the promise my mom made to him on his deathbed."

"Ok, that is what I will tell her."

Damian told his niece that it was true. Edward had left her for his ex girlfriend. That he was going to marry her and that they had moved far away. Catarin still cries herself to sleep at night but hopes and prays for the one day she will find him and they will be together again, even if it is when they are very old.

Little does she know, that day can never come.

_______________________________________________

So the question is ... is this a true story or is it fiction.

And what would you do in Rose and/or Damian's position?







7 comments :

  1. I have no idea if it is fact or fiction but it is dumb. Better to have Rose grieve for him knowing he died loving her than living her life heartbroken IMHO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AGREE! If this is true and if I were Catarin and found out the truth I would disown everyone! This is a horrible thing to do to someone!! Shame on them and all their lies. God I hope this is not a true story!

      Delete
  2. Unfortunately this is a true story... ((names changed for anonymity) and I struggle as a 3rd party wondering if I should or shouldn't say something ... Would I want to know? Hell yes. Would I want a stranger to tell me my most loved ones were lying to me? I'm not sure and I'm not sure I would believe that stranger. Even more so, is it really my place to tell something that by all means is none of my business? I just don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Mother's Day! How about an update on the family?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...