Monday, July 21, 2014

Things that Make Me Go Hmmm(ff)

I am a writer
I am a talker
I love written and verbal communication
So, it is specifically concerning to me 
When native English speaking people 
mispronounce a common English word
Examples:

The correct term is, 'Across'
But many say, 'Acrossed'

The correct term is, 'Ask'
But many say, 'Aks'

The correct term is, 'Drown'
But many say, 'Drownd'

The correct term is, 'Regardless'
But many say, 'Irregardless'

The correct terms are,'Et Cetera' & 'Espresso' & 'Especially'
But many say, "Excetera' & 'Expresso' & 'Expecially'


The correct term is, 'Interpret' & 'Orient'
But many say, 'Interpretate' & 'Orientate'

And one of my LEAST favorites

The correct term is, "Supposedly'
But SOOOO many say, 'Suposably'

Some other 
'things that make me go hmmm'

Why do psychics ask for your name?



Is 'cute as a button' or 'cute as a bugs ear' really a compliment?



Why do 'fat chance' and 'slim chance' mean generally the same thing?



Should vegetarians/vegans eat vegetables if they are essentially depriving animals of their sustenance?


^^ K, I'm a creationist ^^
So, I don't think Adam was being kinky with his cows
But I thought it was funny all the same 


^^ There is much to be said about the lack of modesty ^^
and self respect in this country
and much much to say 
about the control of women and degradation of women in others


^^ umm . . .  ? ^^


I used to care about the distance between Monday and Friday
and vice versa
But being a mom
You don't get Fridays or Weekends so who really cares, right?!?!


^^ This doesn't really make me go hmm ^^
It more just really really pisses me off


^^ TRUTH ^^ 


^^ RIGHT?!?!?! ^^

Allieology

Time for Mom

4 comments :

  1. Yes. Yes. YES. English should not be that hard for people that both learned it as their first language and also in school every year. It really shouldn't be that hard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, man, this is perfect! I'm such a grammar Nazi. It drives me crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ughhh I hateeee when people misuse certain words...my LEAST favorite is funner...it will NEVER be a word!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...