Saturday, September 6, 2014

Skinny Me

As I wrote in my previous post 
I recently went to Barnes & Noble 
Where I proceeded to pick out the first random book that looked good
It is called White Space
Almost 20 pages in 
(which took me too long to get through to begin with)
I just could.not.get.into it!


But I needed something to read
and as if by some telepathy
I received an e-mail
asking if I would review a book called
"Skinny Me"

I read the author bio and the blurb and was hooked
The premise was reminiscent of a Jennifer Weiner novel
and I LOVE JENNIFER WEINER
her coming of age
coming into ones self
learning to love oneself
messages are always awesome
and I felt that this book would be similar to that

This book

"Skinny Me"
by Charlene Carr 

did NOT disappoint!

The entire text is wholly cathartic
for both the protagonist
and the reader
I found myself eating up the 130 pages;
*and finished it in 4 hours*
relating to Jennifer (the main character) in so many ways
her insecurities
her perceived short comings
her self-loathing projected onto everyone around her
in the form of anger and jealousy
My heart squeezed for the hurt child beneath the skin of the fat woman
My stomach convulsed with her binging to control and numb her emotions
My righteous indignation flared every time someone was cruel or rude to her
And the little girl inside of me who has grown into a woman
who hides behind these layers of extra poundage
cheered for the physical success when she finally began to lose weight
and then when she reached her goals
I found myself broken with her by the facts
that a number on the scale
and
the acceptance of others
 will NOT make you happy
you have to find happiness and acceptance within yourself

This book is exceptionally and intuitively written
Raw, emotional, and witty too!
I would suggest anyone on a weight loss journey
(whether it is the beginning, the middle, or you have reached goal)
should read it

Charlene has generously offered 3 FREE digital downloads
for my readers

ENTER HERE YOUR FREE COPY OF 
"SKINNY ME"

downloads are available in .mobi and .epub files
If you do not have an e-reader to access these files 
the .epub files can be accessed at magicscroll.net

and even if you don't win a FREE COPY  . . . 





Book blurb:
Jennifer Carpenter dreams of being a different person – A person with confidence, a person with beauty, a person who weighs a heck of a lot less. At twenty-seven, her world falls apart. She’s out of work, her mother has died, her estranged brother is in a coma and, despite good qualifications, each and every job interview ends in another rejection. Marked by the teasing, taunts, and fat jokes that defined her childhood, Jennifer blames her current lack of success on her ever-growing waist band. In need of a change, Jennifer puts her dream of ‘skinny’ above all else. Obsessed with this mission, she devotes her life to becoming the ideal version of herself even if it means becoming alienated from the only people who love her. Determined to lose the weight she believes is ruining her life, Jennifer finds herself in danger of losing so much more.

Author Bio: 
Charlene Carr has been in love with words for as long as she can remember. A voracious reader, when she needed punishment as a child, her parents took her books away. These punishments were blessings in disguise. They gave her the chance to create her own stories. Pursuing her life-long love of words, Charlene studied literature in University, attaining both a BA and MA in English Literature. She contributed to that learning by also earning a Bachelor of Journalism. She chose a career as a freelance writer, editor, and facilitator, allowing her to continue to develop and grow her writing skill while having the time and flexibility to focus on her own creative work. She has numerous media publications and was a regular performer as a spoken word artist when she lived in Halifax, NS. Charlene lives in St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada and loves exploring the amazing coastline of her harbour town, dancing up a storm, and using her husband as a guinea pig for the healthy, yummy recipes she creates! 


2 comments :

  1. I am intrigued by the review, and thank you for sharing. I am adding this to my "need to read" list right now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love books that suck you in just from the bio on them. I have struggled with my weight for years and everytime I try to go on a diet I seem to gain more weight. Not to mention I am so uncomfortable going shopping and anywhere else for that matter. Can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...