Tuesday, September 9, 2014

When Did This Become Acceptable?

Today I received a phone call 
The caller ID said
Port Townsen WA

This is the conversation that ensued

Me:
Hello?

Guy calling:
Is (he uses my mom's first name) there?

Me:
Who's calling?

Guy calling:
Jim

Me:
Jim, from?

Jim:
I'm calling for (he uses my mom's first name)

Me:
I realize but she doesn't know any Jims so please tell me where you are calling from.

Jim:
A private business matter
(( is that a place you can call from?)) 
((insert eye roll))



Me:
Really? Regarding?

Jim:
Are you (inserts my mom's first name)?

Me:
No, this is her daughter

Jim:
Is (he uses my mom's first name) home?

Me:
No, no she's not

Jim:
When will she be?

Me:
I don't know but probably not any time you'll be able to get a hold of her because I'm pretty sure she won't want to talk to you even when she is.

Jim:
Why are you being so rude?

Me:
Look Jim, you are calling my house. I just want to know who you are and you won't tell me, so don't call me . . .

(he interrupts me)



Jim:
This isn't your house. This is (he uses my mom's first name)'s house

Me:
Jim, this is my house. I live here. Additionally, this is MY phone.

Jim:
How would (he uses my mom's first name) feel about you using her phone, calling it yours and prying into her personal business?



Me:
Jim, don't call MY house, call me rude, then a liar and them presume to think my mom would care about me asking to know who you are and what you want since she doesn't know you.

Jim: 
So, you're not going to let me talk to her?

Me:
I told you, she's not here

Jim:
Fine, I'll find another way to get a hold of her

Me: 
Yeah, good luck with that Buddy. Bye!

I hung up

Now, I don't know if he was a telemarketer, a debt collector, a random call center doing an interview or just a prank call but I receive these calls ALL TOO OFTEN these days.

Since when did it become common place to call a person's home and be a jackass?
((even though I recognize I was the jackass first - but hey, my house my rules))

When did it become commonplace for a person to call another person by their first name when they don't know them? What happened to Mr. or Mrs. and their last name?

When did it become acceptable to not only assume that the number you're calling belongs to no one other than the person your calling? Is it not a plausible circumstance? Because, it totally is

When did it become acceptable to hide information about who you are as a caller and even the most basic information about why you are calling?

It should be obligatory to say, my name is XXX from company XXX and the purpose of my call is to A) collect a debt, B) sell you something C) get information D) give you a survey E) whatever your intents and purposes are

If they can't say any of that because they are talking to the wrong person because the right person didn't happen to pick up the phone, or doesn't want to take the call, or is wary because the caller is shady with their information then they need to just DROP IT and say they'll call back at another time. 

I am tired of rudeness being commonplace

I simply wanted to know 
who THE FRICK he was



where he was calling from
and what regarding

Because, yes, we all screen our calls in this house

and, no, my mom does NOT care if I know her business

We know each other's business

It's no big thing

I realize legally and due to privacy acts it can be a big thing
for them

But seriously
THAT ISN'T MY PROBLEM
Go fly a kite if you don't want to answer my questions

Find another way to get the information to or from the person you need to contact
Because the ruder you are to me the more hostile I will be to you
ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU CALLED ME
I DIDN'T ASK YOU TO CALL ME
AND I DON'T WANT YOU CALL ME
SO EFFING BE NICE WHEN YOU DO
ESPECIALLY IF YOU WANT ME TO PASS ON A MESSAGE
OR DO SOMETHING FOR YOU
MMMK??

My cranky moment is now over 
and I feel much better
Thank you for enduring my rant



 

3 comments :

  1. Chances are it was a debt collector. Possibly from 30 years ago on her OR a friend used her as a reference and they are trying to track said friend. I would recommend telling them to send you/her something in writing. Chances are they never will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She called the place back to bitch them out and it turns out it was a debt collector for another person with my mom's name who lives in a neighboring city. Niiiiice :(

      Delete
  2. VERY strange. Reverse look up the number. That's what I do. And if the number goes to anything like a business, you need to report it. You can usually do that on the reverse number look-up page, too. You weren't rude -- you were cautious. HE was rude!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...