Sunday, October 26, 2014

Taboo Halloween

It is no secret to you, my readers
to my family
to my friends
or to anyone I know
that I am a Christian woman
My faith in God is what defines my life

There are some people, however, who know this
then find out that I celebrate Halloween
and they do a double take while slowly backing away
You see, they just can't understand how a woman
who professes to be Christian
could celebrate what most think is an evil holiday



(not even observed as an actual holiday by the government)
^^ yes, someone actually said this to me ^^

And this is how I look at it
Day in and day out we are faced with evil and temptation
and we, alone, choose how we handle each and every situation
Sure, Halloween is a holiday for some to worship Satan
or to do hideous and horrific things to animals
or to scare the living day lights out of as many people as possible
it is about fear and death and darkness


But for ME
it is just another opportunity to praise God

Halloween always comes in October, without fail


October 31st 
(which is my birthday in reverse)
I love October and how the leaves change
the air grows colder
the smells in the air and in our homes become warm and inviting
We (as a family) decorate
with cutesy Halloween garland and wall hangings




We (as a family and sometimes as a school) take trips to pumpkin patches
where we are able to pick from an amazing assortment of God's harvest



We (as a family) go out to buy a costume that we will wear on Halloween

I do not allow grotesque, horrific or blatantly violent costumes
nor would my two very sweet girls ever even consider wanting to be something
that was considered grotesque, horrific or violent
(ok, maybe Breezy would lean toward the violence, but still)

This year Sassy will be the same thing 
as most other little girls across the USA
Elsa
And Breezy will be Mavis
From the movie Hotel Transylvania
Yes, Mavis is a vampire
No, she is not the blood thirsty, human draining/killing, undead kind of vampire
She is more interested in getting along with humans
And she's totally cute
Don't you think?


Anyway, after the house is decorated
the pumpkins are picked 
and costumes are chosen
comes the week of Halloween
there is carving to be done


Family unity
Togetherness
We do not discuss macabre things or events
we discuss the holidays and the carving itself
and we laugh and we enjoy what God has given to us;
A family full of love and unity and togetherness

The school my girls attend does not celebrate Halloween in any way
So, instead of having a Halloween party
we have an Operation Christmas Child shoebox packing party
where we pack and then send thousands of shoeboxes
filled with toys and life's essentials to children in third world countries
who otherwise, wouldn't get much if anything for Christmas
This shoebox packing party is always held on Halloween
And it is a wonderfully unifying event

Then later that night my little chickies dress up in their fun costumes


(from last year: Gypsy and Princess Tiana)
and we go door to door in our neighborhood
Which is generally pretty safe in terms of 'scare factor'

(from last year)

There have been instances, though
where people from other places have come to trick-or-treat
in awful and hideous costumes
They obviously didn't get the memo 
(A silent neighborhood memo that is more understood than actually sent)

that we don't do disgusting or horrific costumes here
And so I had to hide my girls' eyes and hurry past 
or turn and walk in the opposite direction

I will be honest
a couple of these costumes I had to close my own eyes
and pray as I walked away
not only to erase the horrible image from my mind
but that the person might realize how frightening his costume was
also that we wouldn't cross paths again
and that the person might be suddenly called to trick-or-treat somewhere else
because they were THAT scary
but again, whatever draws me closer to God

Then after trick-or-treating we have a family tradition 
of homemade chilli with cornbread
hot apple cider
and handing out candy to the rest of the nutty trick-or-treaters
who always come in droves until close to 11:00 PM

It is a day completely devoted to family togetherness
Completely devoted to God
Completely devoted to turning an ugly holiday 
into a day where we celebrate freedom
love for God
for each other
and the happiness of small children
because for a short amount of time
they can pretend they are a princess
or a cowboy
or the animal of their choice
for just a short amount of time there is a tangible magic
a light in their eyes as they watch candy being dropped into their buckets
that I know does not come from evil
that I know comes from God

Untainted little lights in this dark and ugly world
Little souls still shining with God's glow

Like these little lights of mine




No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...