Saturday, January 17, 2015

Like, Oh.My.God!

Did my title offend you?
If it did, I am truly sorry but at the same time, I'm not. 
I'll explain if you let me
You see, Oh my god is something I say without much thought
When I am shocked, surprised, in awe or horrified
Oh.My.God
It just comes out
It is almost an involuntary slip of the tongue
But I was called out the other day and told I was taking the Lord's name in vain
Which of course, is one of the TEN COMMANDMENTS that we are not.s'posed'.tuh.do
So, of course, I dove deep within myself to try and find something 
that would help me to feel convicted
After all, I don't want to take the Lord's name in vain
but try as I might
Reading passage after passage in the Bible
consulting with two pastors (one of which has multiple theological doctorates)
I have come to the conclusion that
Oh.My.God
is not taking the Lord's name in vain



Taking the Lord's name in vain is using it in a way that denies His omnipotence
That denies who He is
That gloats or brags in His name
That acts falsely in His name
Or that swears something untrue in His name
I don't call out to Him when I say this
Nor do I call out to anyone when I say it
to me, it is just a saying
An expression. An exclamation.
Like, Holy Cow! to which my grandma was chastised the other day for saying
"Why would you say holy cow? There's nothing holy about it," she was told.
She was shocked. 
She has been saying 'holy cow' the entirety of her 66 years.



See, I think people are getting a bit over zealous when it comes to these things we offhandedly say

As a participant in western Christianity you are taught that this command is supposed to keep God’s name from being spoken with disregard or irreverence. From Sunday school onward the exegesis of taking God's name in vain is usually presented without context or explanation. Christian culture doesn't tend to be overly curious about meaning and intent.
People who identify as Christians become visibly uncomfortable when God’s name is spoken with apparent irreverence. They are on you like white on rice if you say oh God or oh my Lord.“Was that in vain?” you are then asked. Many of them don’t even approve of “gosh” because it is just a substitute for the authentically vain version. Christian culture has decried the use of “omg” for the same reason. What if the “g” stands for “gosh,” you might ask? We can’t know, they say, and we must not give the appearance of evil. End of discussion.
The evangelical definition of taking God’s name in vain is so far-reaching that it has become the mainstream (secular) definition. Ask someone what it means to take God’s name in vain and regardless of their faith tradition or religious persuasion they will probably tell you that it means using one of God’s many pseudonyms in an exclamatory or thoughtless manner. Test it right now. Poll a friend or nine and they will prove this. Jesus Christ, it’s universal.
Much of western Christianity doesn't even know that the commandments were issued to the same Israelites who, when they asked God his name, weren’t given a straight answer. They still don’t have an answer. The story goes that answer was only "I Am," which is why Jews traditionally write the name as G-d. And Christian culture hasn't really publicized the fact that the commandment issued on Mount Sinai wasn’t intended to censor careless bandying about of a literal name, but rather was stating we are not to use God to justify or legitimize an action that is not justified or legitimated by God.
Getting this detail wrong has resulted in Christian culture declaring God’s position on causes such as war, marriage rights, evolution and megachurches, all while staunchly refraining from typing “omg” lest they blaspheme the name of G-d. The irony is excruciating, and they are able to keep it going as long as people don't ask too many questions.
- Stuff Christian Culture Likes

I guess I was just really taken back when I was so openly berated for saying, 'oh my god'
If it is to speak the Lord's name in vain
Then isn't saying 'God bless you' when someone sneezes in any flippancy also doing the same?
Or is there a double standard because one is inherently good 
and the other neutral or dependent on the situation?
And if you were to switch is up and say Oh my gosh
isn't gosh just a derivative of god?
Like jeez is a derivative of Jesus?
Isn't the Lord's name actually Yahweh or Jehovah?
Or as the article stated above;
though the Lord has many names and titles 
perhaps it is not just about any one given name . . . 
Afterall, isn't god a title and not a name at all?
Do you think saying 'oh my god' is saying the Lord's name in vain?
I am putting this out there because in my heart of hearts
I feel that saying 'oh my god' is not saying  my Lord's name in vain
The holy spirit doesn't give me even a twinge of conviction when I say it
and heaven knows (heaven knows . . . is that saying something in vain?) 
that I am heavily convicted of other things I say and do
So chime in . . . tell me what you think . . .

{I have linked up with Making Melissa because I think this is a confession of sorts . . . right?}

Making Melissa

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...